Saturday, December 19, 2009

La Mer.

   i have always been a water baby.. maybe because i have always lived near the sea all my life.. and even my native ratnagiri for that matter is at seaside. not to mention that my ancestral home is less than even a stone's throw away from the sea. surprisingly though i still haven't managed to learn natation.

   i remember that night.. i had taken my closest friends to ratnagiri for an excursion. it was holi time.. we had all laid down on the exposed rocks by the sea.. it was full moon of course but the moon was behind the hills.. there were actually just the three of us... the dazzling sky, the rhapsodious sea and ... we. god! i still don't believe that we actually spent the whole night just staring at the sky and listening to the waves.. none of us slept.. it was 6AM when someone came looking for us from home.. tea was ready.

   the beach at my native is a gravel one.. of laterite.. but the one in the next hamlet is a sand beach.. sparkling grey.. with a hint of black.. the best way to reach there is through a trail that is accessible only during lowtide.. through the rocks that are witness to thousands of years of the war between earth and water..


   every evening at dusk, the pinnacle of ratnagiri light house shines the path of any that approach it.. it has a particular way though.. three seconds of darkness followed by two flashes in less than a second.. strikes a wierd chord in my mind.. staring at it as it plays hide and seek through the leaves of our fruit trees is something i cherish always. i can hear the sea calling me..

   i consider myself extremely fortunate that i have been able to visit my native whenever i have wanted. unlike goa, ratnagiri is best described as virginal. yes virginal is the word... and to think of it the sea is perhaps the only entity that gets deflorated every single moment and yet it not only survives but also throws back the excesses at the perpetrators from time to time. ironical indeed.

the sea and its fathomless waters.. more so at my native than anywhere else will continue to entrance me for the rest of my life..

No comments:

Post a Comment